Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A new addition to the family

We now have a new pet, people. Her name is Roxy and she is hamster. This is our first pet, ever, and I am not that excited about it. I would rather eat my foot than touch that hamster. I have issues with rodents, and would much rather have a pet cockroach.

We told the kids if they could get along for an entire week with no fighting or tattling, we could get a hamster. I wasn't too worried, because I didn't think they could do it. I'm not saying that my kids are fighting and arguing all the time, because they all get along really well. But when you have 5 kids, even if they each only tattle 1 or 2 times a day, it's enough to drive a mother crazy.

Here is dad, putting together the hamster mansion, while Dylan makes sure he is doing it right.


I think Blake is the most excited of the kids. Roxy stays in her walk-in closet right next to a bottle of that automatic air-freshening poof stuff. I hope this little hamster is tough, because it's survival of the fittest at our house.

8 comments:

Carol said...

ya...thanks A LOT! now Kristen is begging for a rodent too. not that we haven't gone down this road before with Nathan...but geese louise!

good luck...hope it doesn't get out and crawl into bed with you!!!

i'm gettin' the heeby jeebies just thinking about it!

Chandra said...

Double that thanks a lot! All Lauren talked about is now Taylor got a hamster and she just loves it and it doesn't really stink and they're easy to take care of.. blah, blah. So the only way she'd go to bed was telling her I'd think about it and talk to you to see how it was. I think I'd rather break down and go for the dog. Now when the rodent dies do you flush it and replace it while they're at school or say oh well he died that's it for the hamsters? Just some facts you'll have to face.

FrankNApril said...

Kirsten,
Atleast it is a caged animal.
I am not a big fan of rodents either. You are very nice to let them get a Hamster. Very Nice! April

Linde said...

Been there done that! I would rather eat my foot too! We had two minature hamsters and I made the kids feed them and clean the cage out. I HATE all little creatures like that.I bribe my kids all the time to be good ALL week. Doesn't happen too often. Good for you though. It will teach them some responsibilty...if it survives:)

Jodi said...

It sounds like Shelby isn't the only one who came home begging for a hamster after seeing yours. What is it about kids and hamsters? I hope it continues to bring them much pleasure and you little pain.

Kricket said...

We acquired a pet rat last spring. It's a great pet for the girls. I have yet to touch it yet!

Jason & Claire said...

I can't believe they went a whole week with no tattling or arguing. They deserve a hamster. Kirsten, the picture of them all gathered around the cage is so sweet. I know it stinks to have a rodent living in your house but it's neat that they worked together for it and love it so much.

When I first looked at that picture I thought you cut Lincoln's hair! It took me a minute to see him in the background with all of his hair.

I know this is lame but I called and told Jason about the hamster because he loves your kids. He was so sad that he doesn't get to come see you guys anymore.

Laurie Mitton said...

Congrats!!! Now your part of the family. I thought I would not like Oreo but I have found that I love that little girl. Except for when she escapes, especially at 4:00am. But Emilee loves her and takes great care of her. But beware we bought the cage you bought and don't know if we got a reject one, but it broke two weeks after Emilee's b-day. We ended up buying a "Hami" condo. Which she has escaped three times due to little fingers opening the cage. Best of luck. Hope to see you soon and the girls can play soon.