Friday, November 28, 2008

Thankful

Thanksgiving was great, even though it didn't turn out like we had planned. I decided I should post it, because nothing like this has ever happened to us before...

This year, Thanksgiving was supposed to be with Jim's family. We switch off every other year...next year will be with my family(in Cancun yeah!!!). My assignment was to bring rolls. So, I got up early to roll out 8 dozen rolls (Jim's family is huge!) so they could rise all day. We all get dressed up, because we were going to have a family picture. Our family was supposed to wear brown, every family a different color. I had to go out and buy a couple brown shirts for the kids, but that's OK. So, we got all pretty (and handsome for my 2 boys), and headed out the door to Jim's brother's gigantic house over on the east side. We hadn't been in the car 5 minutes when we get a phone call and I hear Jim say,"OK, we're not coming, then." Jim turns to me and says, "All of David's kids have LICE." What??? My first thought is, Oh crap, all we have to eat for Thanksgiving is 8 DOZEN ROLLS!!

Apparently Wal-mart only closes on Christmas day, so I ran over there. They had 3 unfrozen turkeys, so I grabbed one, along with potatoes, gravy, stuffing, etc. I got home and Jim already had the turkey frier outside ready to go. About 45 minutes later we had a really yummy Thanksgiving dinner! It was a great day. It was rainy and cozy and relaxing! I am thankful to have been able to be with my little family and spend the day together...and eventually my kids will get over the fact that they didn't get to play with their 85 cousins...

4 comments:

Kristin said...

wow, i think if that were to happen to us we would have had cold cereal!!

Laurie Mitton said...

Wow you are amazing. Talk about taking lemons and making lemonade. You and Jim are a great team. I probably would of cried not knowing what to do until the Man aka (Rod) figured out something.Kudos to you and Jim & if you need to get rid of rolls we always love homemade rolls. J/K

FrankNApril said...

Kirsten,
How sad! The thought of LICE makes me itch!
I think that it turned out great for you guys! Maybe the kids missed out on 85 cousins. That is a lot of cousins. However, the cozy and the rain sounds really nice to me! April

Linde said...

Oh my gosh! I bet your kids were so sad! It sounds like it would have been SO much fun. Next time, right? Lice would not have been so fun. I would have loved some of your yummy rolls too! I am glad that you ended up having a great thanksgiving.