Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom

"Jim, remember when we only had one child?" -Kirsten

"Ummm, no." -Jim

"Me neither"-Kirsten

Have you ever been Mommied to death all day long?! Have you ever had to take 5 kids with you EVERYWHERE you go?! Today was one of those days. After TaylorBlake (we call them TaylorBlake so when we need them we just have to yell one name-"TaylorBlake!") got home from school we went to...
  • Blake's violin lesson
  • Krispy Kreme to get donuts for one of my Laurel's birthday, but of course we had to spend 20 minutes watching the donuts go through the icing waterfall.
  • Taylor's piano lesson
  • Old Navy- the zipper broke on one of Blake's 3 favorite shorts -that she rotates over and over again. I've learned to choose my battles. She found 2 pairs that she likes, thank goodness.
  • Target-Blake had to buy this acoustic guitar with her birthday money. Now. This very minute. It could not wait.
  • Drop the donuts off to my new Laurel.
  • Home to feed the kids because they are so starving they are about to DIE! That is a direct quote from one of them. I don't know which one. "We're having roast! I hate roast. I'm not eating it." If they were really starving they would eat it.

Going to Target with 5 kids is not my favorite thing. I wish I had a dollar for everytime one of my kids said "Mom, can I buy this?" After saying "No" comes the "Mom, whyyyyyyyyyyyy?" After about 30 minutes of this dialogue being repeated about 10 times each with all 5 kids, we check out, and after everyone has to have a drink at the drinking fountain, I walk straight to the food court. The nice lady behind the counter asks "What can I get you, honey?" I reply, "I need something with alot of caffeine." We walk out the front door, and I immediately say, "COUNT OFF". This is something you do when you have alot of kids.

  • Taylor -"ONE!"
  • Blake- "TWO!"
  • Lincoln-"THREE!"
  • Brooklyn-"FOUR!"
  • Dylan-"NINE!"

"Ok, Taylor grab Brooklyn's hand, Blake grab Lincoln's hand...alright, let's go."

I actually managed to keep my patience today. Despite Taylor singing in the car to Radio Disney at the top of her lungs, and Blake and Lincoln screaming "Taylor, STOP SINGING!" about a Ba-zillion times. And Brooklyn singing "Please don't stop the music" over and over again.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm ranting...but I feel 10 times better now!

12 comments:

Carol said...

I hear ya! But it's always funnier hearing someone elses version of insanity.

Surely you must get the "looks", like "are those ALL your kids?" (well du, they all look the same!) I love the stares and glares we get...well, not really. Hope that caffeine helped!

Leslie said...

Peer,
Ok, so I only raised 3 of you. But, I remember having similar dialogues on many occassions with you girls and totally feeling "Mom..ed to death". In fact you may have heard that term from me.
I'm sorry but all I can think about when I read this blog is "What goes around comes around" and it just cracks me up!!! :)
I can't wait for you to hear these same comments from your kids after they grow up and have kids. It is soooo fun.
You're a great mom!
I love you... your MOM

Jodi said...

There is something therapeutic in being able to right these things down and even better to know others can relate. For the record, I think you're a great mom and you have great kids.

Kristin said...

I hear ya, especially about the dinner thing. Samantha hates everyting I cook. She actually had to go to bed hungry last night because she wouldn't eat her dinner.(i think she must have snuck something else because she sure wasn't complaining about being hungy too much!)

Growin' Like Weeds said...

TOo Funny, Jake and Haley always fight about who is first...I get tired of that, but some day we will miss them so little right?

Linde said...

HaHa I know your pain! Thanks for sharing:) I love going places by myself and it NEVER happens. I always get asked, "are they all yours?" It seems like it is never ending doesn't it? We love it though, right? Good thing that you have great kids and you are the Best Mom!

Unknown said...

Your honesty is refreshing. You are a great mom!!!

Chandra said...

I only have 2 to deal with but oh does that sound familiar- in fact we HAD to go to Target last night to because Jace had a giftcard that was burning a hole in his pocket. Jace couldn't decide, Lauren had attitude, and I'm just glad I get 6 hours a day to do this stuff w/o them. When does Track 5 get out?

FrankNApril said...

Kirsten,
I am so SORRY!!!!
I have only 3 and feel like that sometimes! Always say "NO" in the store! Mine no I will say "NO" and when I get them something they like it more. You are only normal! You do very well w/5. I think all Mom's have one too many days like this! Just keep on keeping on:) April

Lisa said...

Kirsten your the best! When this happens to me I tell the kids my name is not mommy anymore. It doesn't work:) When they're teenagers and not talking to us anymore, we will wish for the "mom..ed to death" back - hang in there!

Jason & Claire said...

I don't know how you do it all! I'm getting stressed just reading about your day. I love the countdown. We want 2 more kids. I guess I have something to look forward to!

Church Fam said...

So funny to read. It s always nice to hear other crazy mom moments.